Madison looked up and motioned to someone standing by her side. “This is my daddy. He likes to play in the ocean, watch hockey and give butterfly kisses.”
Abby hadn’t noticed anyone else standing with them. She gazed up just beside Madison and saw him. Losing her balance, she fell flat on her rear. This daddy, who liked to give butterfly kisses, leaned down to offer her help. “Are you okay?” He didn’t hide the concern on his face. The most gorgeous man she’d ever laid eyes on was standing right above her. In addition to his looks, something about his presence immediately drew her in. How had she not noticed him before? His prominent brows shadowed his eyes from the sunlight, making it difficult to determine the color of his deep-set eyes. It took her a moment to realize that she was sitting on the asphalt at school, ogling this little girl’s daddy. Madison let out a childish giggle.
Embarrassed, she stood up on wobbly legs, dusting off her thinly covered behind with both hands, causing the nametags she still held to swing back and forth. “Yeah, I’m fine. Just clumsy.” The laugh she offered was unmistakably forced. She looked directly at his grey shirt that displayed a hockey team’s logo on his chest, and then raked her eyes back up to his face.
With a chuckle, he extended his large hand to shake hers. The skin on his hand was smooth and non-callused. This man did not do manual labor. “It’s very nice to meet you, Miss Abby. I’m Caleb.” Unable to pry her eyes off him, she turned several shades of red after hearing his deep voice say her name. He was probably used to women staring at him though. How could he not be?
Caleb Hunter ~ Successful writer, father to 5-year old Madison Hunter and Widower of 4 years. Avid surfer and hockey fan. Can’t see past his sorrow to let another woman into his heart.
Abby Sullivan ~ Kindergarten teacher and best-friend to Leah Valdez. Avid reader and antique shopper. Loves her non frou-frou coffee and to go shopping at the farmers market for her vegetarian dishes. Holds on to past hurt that keeps her from moving on in love.
Madison Hunter ~ Caleb’s daughter and Abby’s student. Love butterfly kisses, tutus and her daddy.
Leah Valdez ~ Flower shop owner who would do anything for her best friend, Abby including giving her plenty of ‘keeping it real’ advice.
Stefen Hunter ~ Caleb’s cousin from Chicago. Lawyer, heartbreaker and all around player.
Bri Hunter ~ Caleb’s cousin and Stefen’s sister. World traveler, escaping the past while searching for her future.
~You can focus on your problems or you can focus on your dreams ~
Evie Jamieson, a former wild child, is not only a headstrong, smart-mouthed trouble magnet; she is also a lead singer with a plan. That plan involves relocating her band; including her two best friend’s guitarist Henry and band manager Mac, to Sydney to kick off their dreams of hitting the big time.
Jared Valentine is the older brother of Evie’s best friend Mac and also the man determined to make Evie his. They strike up a long distance friendship which suits Evie because she’s determined to avoid the distraction of love, not only because it doesn’t fit in with her plan but because twice in the past it has left her for dead. Moving to Sydney however, has put her directly in Jared’s path and he has decided it’s the perfect opportunity to make his play.
Unfortunately Jared, co-owner in a business that ‘consults’ in dangerous hostage and kidnapping situations, makes an enemy who’s determined to enact revenge. When this enemy puts Evie in his sights, Jared not only has a fight on his hands to make her his own, but also to keep her alive.
Is accepting the love he’s so desperate to give worth the risk to both her heart…and her life?
1. Can you tell us something we don’t know about Kate?
I hate country music. Seriously. Put it on and I’ll punch you. Or lose the will to live.
2. When did you first realize that you wanted to become a writer?
23 November 1997. Nah, lol. I don’t know. It’s something that has always been in the back of my mind.
3. Why do you feel you had to tell this story? Is there something in this book that is based on real life experience?
It was stuck in my head and if I didn’t get it out I swear I would’ve got a stomach ulcer.
God – I HOPE not! Okay, well maybe the friendships. I don’t know about other countries but in Australia we thrive on giving shit to our friends. It’s like our national motto or something. You don’t love your friends if you’re nice to them.
4. We have a lot of characters in the book. What was your inspiration in creating each one of them? Will the rest of the gang be getting their own book, too?
I think each character adds something to the story in their own personal way. Its shows that as people we all have friends who give us something different in our lives that we need. That was a little deep so I’ll just point out here that it’s only 9am so no I haven’t started drinking yet.
The next book is Give Me Strength – Travis Valentine and Quinn Salisbury.
5. Do you write to music? Any songs that inspired the story of Jared and Evie?
Mostly the soundtrack of my book is my kids screaming at me. They are loud. Earphones are my friend.
Bleeding out by Imagine Dragons is the first song.
This Is What Makes Us Girls by Lana del Rey
Give Me Love by Ed Sheeran didn’t inspire the name of the book but I think it’s a really good perspective for Jared’s character.
6. Among all the books that you have read, which of these have significantly contributed to your writing style?
My book came out the complete opposite of how I expected it to so I have no idea. I just sat down and all that came out. The characters really took on a life of their own.
7. Name 3 authors you would love to collaborate with.
BJ Harvey, Tara Sivec, JD Nixon
8. Excluding your own, name 3 books you would recommend to your friends.
Little Town series by JD Nixon.
The Redhead series by Alice Clayton
BDB by JR Ward
Sorry, they are all series books. I love a good series.
9. If you could date any fictional character, who would it be and why?
Thor because he’s got a big hammer.
Let’s do our fast talk:
1. Coffee or tea? tea
2. Lights on / lights off? OFF – so off.
3. Boxers or briefs? (For your guy) boxer briefs
4. Favorite male body part? Back. I give good massage 😉 get your mind out of the gutter. Oh wait, that’s me.
5. Do you believe in love at first sight? No.
6. 3 things you never leave home without? (apart from keys, phone and money) shoes (I keep my toes wrapped – unless I’m wearing thongs, and by thongs I mean flip flops 😉 ), what else, umm, lip balm, clothes are always a good thing. Australia isn’t that liberal.
7. Sleep in or get up early? I have kids.
8. Ever slapped a guy? No. Sounds like fun though. Must try it some time.
9. 3 celebrity crushes? Chris Hemsworth, Jensen Ackles, Jared Padalecki (easiest question ever – thanks!)
10. Sex on the first date? Absolutely maybe sometimes depends – I mean, if it’s Chris Hemsworth I wouldn’t even wait for the date, just get down to the business thanks.
Any advice to give to aspiring writers? Yes, stay true to your writing style.
Any message to your followers? Thanks for reading my book. Buy the next one. Or else…
“One day you’ll belong to me, Evie, and I’ll know everything about you.”